Friday, September 4, 2009

chatting it up

Chatting It Up On Line, by Pamela livingstone
I think it is interesting to see how a teacher is able to find a way to connect with the students and motivate them. To begin with, the idea of having a conversation with one of your favorite authors, or just even a book you have read, is a great ideal. I have met some of my favorite authors before and it is really nice to see how they are humans like anyone else. It pushes a magical button that really motivates a person to get more involved. Secondly, taking preventive measures is great. I know how internet connections can be lost or interrupted, or there might be software needed or so. On the other hand, having a tech support or a backup plan it is always a smart move. Thirdly, the idea on not telling the students until one is 100 percent sure is also a smart move.

I can see how disappointment can deter the student’s motivation. Last but not least, the idea of having other tools to learn, in this case the internet or live chats, it is awesome. I think it is encouraging to break out of the routines and find knowledge or a communication devise that takes us out of the classroom. At the same time, it prepares us to the modern days and helps us, as well as the students, to be a bit more up to date with anything they want.

I like the idea of having authors and celebrities to chat with the students. It will be a good way for me to motivate students to “play” with the internet and to use new ways of communication. I'm interested in language and teaching Spanish, and having a way for the students to chat with people in other parts of the world where Spanish is predominant will be of great help. The article made me think and be aware of the problems that can come, and new ways to prevent them. I will try to avoid any problems and make sure to have the back-ups needed to make sure using technology is a pleasant experience.

NETS 4 (technology: internet access)

2 comments:

  1. I want to teach Spanish too and this article also made me think of having my students chat in order to improve their language skills. I think this would help break from the routine of always doing the same thing. I think using technology will help bring new ideas and change the lessons.

    In the case of the article, it goes to show that it is crucial to be prepared in case of a technological difficulty. In dealing with students, we need to make sure we don't promise something and later have a problem and upset the students. I too gained benefit from this article to be prepare and watch out for malfunctions. We need to be prepared!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea of having students chat with Spanish speakers from around the world is a great way to get students involved with leaning! Chatting directly with an individual who is from a different country gives students the opportunity to learn "lingo" that they may never have learned if they only spoke with Spanish speakers from one area of the world. Great idea Jose!

    ReplyDelete